Scotland - Day 1

Early observations:
Although people here are speaking English their accent can be so thick that it is hard to discern what they are saying.
A sign restricting dog owners from leaving dog poo around says this "Dog Foul is not permitted" and I find that cute.
So far, every sink that I have encountered has two separate faucets, one for hot and one for cold. I don't get it, are you supposed to run your hands under each to make warm?
Our shower is somehow electric.
And the best for last....you know the plaid colors that you see Scots wearing? For kilts, hats, scarves and such? Each color pattern is specific for a "clan" or family line. For instance, there is a Murray family color pattern with specific colors and plaid design. If you are from the Murray Clan of Scotland, you wear... not the cutest color pattern that you find, but the one specifically designed for your clan. That is simply cool. And, as if that wasn't interesting enough, the famous red plaid design is the Stewart Clan colors, or more famously the Royal Stewart clan. People associate that red plaid with Scotland because it is the royal clan's colors.
We had a brilliant day today. Our flat is great. We have some beautiful views and the flat owner provided us with a hundred pamphlets of tourist information as well as movies for the kids and the basic bread, juice, butter, and milk already in the fridge. When we hit the town, we had toasties followed by desserts and coffee in a local tea room and then walked for over 3 hours around town a little and up and back down a dormant volcano. The view from the top was simply breathtaking. The boys did great on the climb up and had a blast rolling down hills during our descent. All was well until Gabe rolled over some dog foul, but it was a little sun-baked so no harm was done.
About an hour into our day here in Edinburgh, I decided this is my favorite place we have visited so far. However, I say that about almost every new place we go to AND I think my opinion is slightly skewed because I'ms simply ecstatic that I can ask questions in English and people understand me. I do love it so far, and I surely don't want to leave.....And this is just day 1!


Comments

Popular Posts