When I was in elementay school one of the fashion trends was wearing very large, bulky socks that you scrunched up around your ankles over your zippered or pegged pants. You could wear white or black scrunched socks or you could really kick it up a notch and match your socks to your top. If you wore a red shirt, jeans, red socks and white keds - your fashion was on point. I'm not sure if it was that very pronounced sock trend situation, my mom's conservative style or my own lack of fashion sense, but my brain accepted and committed to some very boring fashion rules for a very long time. Jeans or black pants tended to be my base and then my top was the color piece. Shoes were always black or brown. It wasn't until recently that I embraced "edgy" looks that pair pink with navy or add colored pants into my wardrobe. And shoes... I've finally added navy and gray to the mix, I'm still working on being more adventurous in that area. As I ventured into jewel tone pants, I found myself a bit lost as to what to pair them with. The safe bet is obviously a cream, black or gray top so clearly that is what I chose. Until today. How do you decide what to wear each day? I choose an item, today it was purple corduroy pants, and then head over to pinterest and search "purple pants outfit". I scroll through photos until something catches my eye and try to figure out if I can replicate the outfit. So today,the outfit that caught my eye was purple pants, a white and blue striped shirt with a denim jacket. I bravely, located those items from my closet and despite feeling completely unsure of this pairing, I went with it. I added navy pattent leather loafers for a final touch and headed out the door. Why is this post about fashion? Am I attempting to crossover into style influencer? Most definitley not! This post is really less about fashion than it is about bravely trying something new and courageously crushing any type of lie you've bought into or belief that things have to be done a certain way. Being brave doesn't have to be something newsworthy, it can be quietly walking out of the house sporting a new style, inviting a stranger (potential new friend) to coffee, praying out-loud for a friend, trusting someone to share your feelings or whatever small-big thing that seems scary. Do it. Be brave enough to wear gold earrings and a silver necklace or Vans with a skirt or apply for a job you aren't fully qualified for, whatever you think you might want to do, but have allowed fear to hold you back.

Comments

Popular Posts