Sleep-over

This past weekend E stayed the night at a friend's house.  A few hours after he arrived I called to interrogate him about where the Jimmy John's cup and sandwich wrapper came from.

He used his own money to have it delivered.
I'm just going to hang out right here for a second and talk about how absurd this is.  JJ is the most ridiculously over-priced sandwich in the history of the world.  Then to add to the crime, they charge a delivery fee.  He paid close to $20 for the JJ guy to bring an over-priced sandwich and a soda one mile up the hill.  This kid.  He's not so wise when it comes to finances and he hasn't figured out that if he would have thrown away his trash I would have never known he had the multi-million dollar sandwich delivered.  Instead, he left it right on the counter.  Rookie.

So I called and got the run-down on the sandwich and right before I hung up the phone I heard him whisper "mom wait".

What is this?  I wonder.  Does my baby miss me?  Is something scandalous going on and he needs me to come get him?  Is he scared?

"What Eli?  Is everything ok?"

He said "oh ya everything is fine but you would HATE it here.
"Why?"
"This house is so dirty.  There is dog hair everywhere.  It is nasty"

The whole time he was talking I was hushing him!  You can't stand in someone's home and tell her mom how nasty it is!

He assured me it was ok because he was somewhere where nobody could hear him.  He proceeded to continue with details about how dirty the house was until finally I cut him off and said "do you need me to come get you?"

He said "no" and I hung up the phone.

A little part of me felt good.  
Surely, he will never come out and say "thanks mom for making us keep our house clean" but in this little moment of the weird conversation, I felt like that was what he was saying.

You're welcome E.

Comments

Popular Posts