I recently had a casual conversation with a few friends who are nonbelievers.
Not just not believing the same thing as I do, but not believing in something greater than themselves at all and definitely vehemently opposed to religion.
The conversation was peaceful, thankfully our respect for each other allowed for a discussion that was open, without judgement or contempt.
The conversation was difficult for a number of reasons: knowing that you diverge dramatically from someone else is a little sad.  Like when I find out a friend doesn't like coffee.  It stings a little.  How are we to ever enjoy coffee together if you don't like coffee?  It is perplexing. So there's that.
And then there is difficultly in trying to explain what I believe, clearly and concisely without passing judgement on them and without altering my true beliefs in an attempt to make the conversation less divisive.
And lastly, wondering where do they find peace?  How do they power through this world and where do they put their hope if not in God?

In the week following this conversation I found myself bothered.  I tried desperately to put a finger on what exactly was unsettling.

The complaints that they had against religion, were very much against religion not God, but they don't see religion and God as two separate things.  Their view of God is clouded by the rules, interpretations and media representation of Christianity.  And the truth is, I agreed with many of them.

The good thing that came from the conversation is that they know I'm approachable, and I had the very important opportunity to do some soul searching and really answer the question "what do I believe?"

I'll be quite transparent and admit that I am really in a time that I'm questioning many things that I've been taught.  Not because I think they are wrong, but because my kids are reaching an age that I need to start answering the hard questions, and I need to be firm in my understanding of why I believe what I do.  I don't want to throw out a rule and the reason simply be "that's what I was told at church when I was your age".  My reason needs to be biblically grounded and of personal conviction.

So as I have pondered that great question and struggled to put into words what I believe, the same words kept popping into my head.  Stripping down all the little details that are of no eternal significance it comes down to the apostles creed.

Ever experience something so freakishly coincidental that you cannot possibly call it that?  As I sat down to write today I pulled up the Apostles' Creed online so I could simply cut and paste it on the blog rather than type it all out.  I'm lazy that way.
I just finished typing the words above  "Stripping down all the little details that are of no eternal significance it comes down to this" and clicked over to the website to cut and paste the creed when the song on my iPod began "This I Believe",  also known as The Creed.  It gave me the chills and maybe a tear rolled down my cheek.

It doesn't matter to me if you baptize or not, consume caffeine, beer, smoke a little pot, had an abortion, have communion every Sunday or only on Easter, go to church three days a week or never, in the end this is what matters:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
      creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
      who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
      and born of the virgin Mary.
      He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
      was crucified, died, and was buried;
      he descended to hell.
      The third day he rose again from the dead.
      He ascended to heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
      From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
      the holy church,
      the communion of saints,
      the forgiveness of sins,
      the resurrection of the body,

      and the life everlasting.

Comments

Rachael said…
I recently had a similar conversation with the ladies in my neighborhood book club. They too were also all about all the things the church has gotten wrong. I ended up totally validating them. Yes, the church and people and religion have so gotten it wrong over the years (at times). It's hard to be like Jesus. Jesus is fully God and perfect. Why not see what He was about, not the church? Try a read through John and see what you think? I so love that Jesus was so fully loving and so fully God with every encounter he had with sinners. He didn't water down the gospel so they would feel less bad about their own situation but he also fully loved them and they felt that. That's how we need to be. Love that you are having these conversations.

Popular Posts