I have 14 pairs of boots in my closet.
Some say it is an addiction.
Others say it is a lovely, practical collection of sensible shoes.

Given that it is "boot weather" in Washington 6 months out of the year, with other optional boot days scattered throughout the rest of the year, I say its a matter of function and totally acceptable use of closet space, not an actual addiction.

The other part of this boot story is that I buy expensive, good quality, real leather boots.... at extremely discounted rates.
So yes, my fabulous Frye harness moto boots were originally $380 but I got them for 70% off.    I know. Amazing deal right?
There is really something about a quality shoe.  I have quite a few pairs of boots in my closet that I purchased back in 2009, that are still in really great condition, that I wear regularly, and I love just as much today as when I first purchased them.  Can glued together plastic hold up like that?  I think not.

So the bottom line is I have a lot of nice boots.  And I clearly have an irrational relationship with them.

Today a young co-worker of mine came over to show me her new boots.  They were over the knee, black plastic, side-zip boots with a low heel.
She proudly exclaimed to me "So I was in Payless yesterday and thought of you when I bought these boots.  I told my mom 'these boots are in honor of Clarissa'."
To which another co-worker said "she's chanelling you".
And I passed out.

Ok, not really.
I gasped.
Audibly.

I have beautiful, durable, yummy smelling boots not plastic go-go boot disasters that could only be sold at Payless!!!  How could she compare her boots to mine?  (I was kind of yelling that, in case you couldn't imagine that on your own.)

I told Matt this story and he laughed out loud.  A lot.  He said something like "talk about a gut punch" And kept muttering "Payless...channeling you" followed by more laughter.

I buy the nice boots because:

  • I love the challenge of getting really nice things I cannot typically afford for a ridiculously scamming deal.  
  • I'd rather spend money on a quality product.  Buy faux leather boots for $60 or wait out my dreamy Born leather lace up riding boots for a year for $100?  I choose the latter.
  • I love nice looking boots that don't squeak when you walk.

So my lesson for today....
Well I don't know for sure but I think it might be to make sure you are buying things because you want them, not to impress anyone else.  Because you never know, your $380 boots may just look to someone else like $24.99 BOGO from Payless.


.




Comments

Allison said…
I read this the other day and have not stopped laughing!!!
Rachael said…
Ok. I am having the same reaction as Matt. My only wish is to have witnessed this live. Perhaps she'll come in with a walmart jacket next week... if so, you need to tell her to pause and then whip out our phone and video her and you and the whole scene. priceless.

Popular Posts