Love them or hate them, those Seahawks had an amazing comeback against the Packers last weekend during the NFC Conference Championship game.  At the end of the game reporters flocked to the star quarterback and waited for their chance to interview him.  He was very emotional and took a few moments of his air time to thank God for the win.I grimaced when I heard his interview.  Sure, I'm glad he gave thanks to God for the victory, but that is the easy "thank you".  
What if they lost?  Would he stand before all those reporters and thank God for the chance to play even though they lost?  Would he still say it was God's plan for the team if it meant losing?  
Hmm?I don't hate the Seahawks as a team, I just have a huge disdain for the massive amount of "fans" that I'm surrounded by.  People who don't know a thing about the team (I get this from conversations that I've had) but have voluntarily traded in their entire wardrobe for all things Seahawk.  They are riding the wave of a winning team that they know very little about.

The following is a quote from a recent story posted on King 5 News on January 14th.

"What we're talking about is Birging, or Basking in Reflective Glory," said Dr. Galen Trail, Sports Administration and Leadership professor at Seattle University. "This is a term academics came up with to explain why people jump on the bandwagon really. "He says people buy Seahawks gear and consume all Seahawks information, because they want to be associated with winners. "People want to be associated with successful others. They want to promote that successful other," he said. "It (becomes) a self esteem thing, especially for band wagoners."

So what is the problem?
Well nobody or no team wins all the time.
What happens when the team loses?
Are you still a fan?
Do you trade in your gear for regular clothing or perhaps even another team's jersey?
What happens when God doesn't give you what you want?
Are you still a fan?
Do you trade in your jersey for something else?
When our marriage gets rough?  When the kids are trying your patience?  When the job isn't going well?  
Do you find something new to follow?  Something that feels good because it is going well?

I'm a follower of Christ even when I don't like where I'm going, I'm sticking with my husband forever, I'm loving these kids (even when they put crap on the stairs that cause me to trip and fall down the stairs giving myself a giant bruise on my hip) and I'm 49er Faithful.

So, I hope the Seahawks lose next week so Russell has a chance to do the right thing in front of the reporters and because I don't like the 12th Man.

Comments

Unknown said…
I thought the same thing about Wilson's thanks to God. It is often such a cliché for the winners to do so. Great perspective and equating the bandwagon fans to those who are often bandwagon Christians. It's easy when things are good but given a challenge or hard times and it's all over. I, too, hope they lose not because I am surrounded by the 12th man (annoying as they are!) as you are but because there are so many "unlikeable" guys on the team (Sherman and Lynch particularly to me).
Allison said…
Hmmm. I think I will cheer for the Patriots for the same reason!

(and, Terri, tears).

Popular Posts