11:45pm December 31st...just moments before the clock would strike midnight and the New Year began, the boy announced he had something he wanted to do.
He cleared his throat, hopped up onto a stool and addressed his audience of 15.
What came next was shocking.

When Gabe first told me he had something he wanted to do after our game was finished I brushed him off.  We were quickly approaching midnight and had bottles of champagne to open and glasses to fill, did we really have time for this?  I hinted that now wasn't a good time, but something in his eyes told me to let it ride.  He looked so disappointed when I began my "no, because...." speech, so I simply said "ok, but we don't have much time".

Turns out he didn't need much time.  
From up high on the stool he looked around the room, down into every person's eyes and apologized.
He said he was sorry for being grumpy earlier that night and asked for forgiveness.  Tears rolled town his cheeks and he began to wipe them away with the back of his hand as only he does.  He said he loved us and he was sorry,  honestly I can't remember what all he said, but I know that he was so brave to stand in front of everyone and apologize.

He had been so grumpy that night.  It didn't really affect too many people in the room, Matt and I got the brunt of it.  I'm not sure why he was struggling, and I even find it hard to remember all the little things that kept setting him off.  What I do remember and will remember forever is that this was the night that Gabe stood up, took responsibility for his actions, and publicly apologized without any suggestions or coercion from Matt and I.

Gabe struggles a great deal with owning his mistakes, not so much because he doesn't want to face consequences but because he so very ashamed.  It is often hard to get him to apologize coherently because he simply can't bring himself to face the one he hurt.  

This night he overcame a lot to stand up and apologize.  Matt and I praised him for his bravery to stand up there and the rest of the group comforted him with comments of how much they love him.

He ended 2014 off better than I could have ever imagined for someone.  He lay his burdens down, asked for forgiveness and felt free by the time the clock struck midnight.

I can learn a thing or two from this kid. 








Comments

Rachael said…
So cool. Tyler has such a hard time with this as well. Runs away in shame and cries when he hurts someone. Makes me a bit frustrated because I feel like he is making it all about him... it is encouraging to hear that change can happen. So brave Gabey!

Popular Posts