This is 37

Yesterday I spent hours making copies at work....and enjoyed it.  Not because I thoroughly enjoy standing by the copy machine for hours and hours but because I set a goal to do something ridiculous (make all the copies of student's worksheets I need for my 1-3 grade students for the rest of the year!) and I finished it!  It took hours and hours of pulling together all the materials, making packets by module and then making copies.  But woo hoo, task completed.
After that task was completed  I called my insurance company to chat about life insurance.  So many options and factors to consider.  Once Matt got home we rehashed everything and bammo made a decision we both feel good about.  So over the next month or so, we'll become the proud new owners of additional life insurance.  I'm keeping it a secret who our beneficiaries are.  I don't want anyone to get to excited about offing us in order to collect the kajillion dollars in insurance.  Whilst chatting with the insurance agent she asked how much I wanted to insure myself for.  I said "well that is up to my husband.  What do I care?  I'll be dead".  She wasn't amused and decided I was only worth about $250,000.  I'm such a bargain.
So, copies made, insurance plan underway, what's next to polish off my day of excitement?  I swear I'll make you one of my beneficiaries on my policy if you guessed this one correctly!  That's right Kirby salesman.  This sweet, perky, fun girl came to my door asking if she can clean my carpet.  I say sure.  I know it is a sales pitch, but I spilled a half gallon of white primer on Eli's carpet about 6 months ago and quite frankly I had nothing better to do last night, so I was willing to listen to her pitch if she could  try and get it out.  She said she'd be back in 10 minutes, and it would only take about 10 minutes.  Ha!  An hour later a dude shows up.  He was neither perky or fun and he was there to do the pitch.  Off we go up to Eli's room for the cleaning.  I lied and said I owned a Kirby before (Mika owned a Kirby so I was really just pretending I was her and answering questions as if I were Mika).  I know the Kirby works well but I sold it because it was too heavy.  (This really is Mika's answer).   I hoped since "I" was a previous owner of  Kirby he would lay off the pitch.  He didn't.  He vacuumed the floor, floor boards, cleaned the window, vacuumed the bed and finally got around to dry foam cleaning the carpet.  Long story short: my house is dirty either a: because I don't own a Kirby or b: because I don't clean enough.  I'm going with b, which is actually more embarrassing than option a, but it is the truth.  Matt came upstairs and told the guy he had to leave because the kids needed to go to bed (totally true, it was almost 9pm now which is way beyond a reasonable hour for a strange man to be in my house).
9pm.  Eli's room is looking quite clean, the carpet is a little better but not much, but now it smells like a wet dog.  Thankfully, Eli has a stuffy nose and couldn't breathe anyway so he was fine.  I kept coughing.  The guy asked me if I had allergies.  I said "no, your Kirby foam is killing me".  He doesn't respond.
He packs up the machine.  I tell him it took us 6 months to decide on what TV to buy so I surely am not going to make a decision over something that costs 3 times as much in a mere 2 hours.  He said "well that's a TV, its cheap and not important".  I said "uh that's my point dude.  If it takes 6 months to decide how to spend $1000 for something as meaningless as a TV how much more time will it take for us to decide on a vacuum that cost $3000."
He still didn't get it.  I suppose that is why he is cleaning carpets for free.  Not a mathematical equation that makes sense.
I kicked him to the curb, turned off the porch light, and headed in for a glass of wine.
It was a pretty good day.
Copies, life insurance and free painted carpet cleaning.  This is 37.

Oh I just reminded myself...big plans for Saturday: learn to knit.

Comments

Popular Posts