Never underestimate the power of 10 minutes.
I know that sounds a little cliche but it is true.

Some time in March I had an interview at an elementary school with a principal named Ron and three or four other teachers in his school.  The interview went well and I felt great, not only my ability to accurately represent myself but also about the people I was interviewing with.  I got a great vibe from the principal and staff.  The interview really seemed more like a casual conversation than a stressful interview and I really hoped I would get a chance to work with these people.  The principal just simply had a way about him that made me want to be part of that team.

I got a call a few days later from Ron.  He told me I didn't get the job but he was really impressed by me.  He said that it came down to the other candidate having more classroom experience.  He encouraged me to try and get into the sub pool and continue to apply.  He also said that he emailed fellow principals in the district and let them know that I was an excellent candidate.

I would like to point out that I obviously wasn't excellent enough for him.  I was a little encouraged by the conversation and a little irritated.  But I moved on.

Fast forward to my interview with the principal at the school I currently work at.  She started the interview by stating "you came highly recommended by Ron".  I was shocked that Ron had actually done what he said he would do, and that his recommendation was regarded so highly.  Talk about added pressure in an interview.

A few days later I was at the boys' school and the principal there approached me and told me he heard I was in the running for a job at the other school.  He said "I guess you made quite an impression on one of the other principals, he emailed all of us recommending you".

I vowed to check back with Ron and thank him, even if I didn't get the job, I was so taken back by the fact that he really did take the time to try and help me out.

I finally had the chance to thank him last night.  I walked up to him, reminded him of my name and said "you recommended me for a job a few months ago and I firmly believe it was your confidence in me that landed me an interview and position".  I told him how the principal I work for opened the interview and that my response was "I do hope I prove his words to be true".  He asked about what I was doing and if my position was continuing or not and then told me if I don't get hired on again with this school to check out his school because he is hiring now for next year!

This is a great little story.  But, it is about to get better.
Ron is not going to be the principal at that other school next year. Why?
He is going to be the principal at the TAG school that Gabe is attending.

I'm not gonna lie the thought has crossed my mind that obtaining an interview for a job at the TAG school may be a little easier if a position opens up in the future!
More important than that, I feel confident that Gabe is going to be in excellent hands in Ron's school.

Comments

Allison said…
I am so excited about how things are shaking out for Team Hernandez! All these little bits of stories you share reflect your humility in these outstanding blessings and I feel so cool to know you. : >

Popular Posts