First of all I must apologize for an error I made in an earlier post.  I incorrectly wrote "baseball is almost over".  I think that was two weeks ago.  Clearly, I failed to realize the seriousness of post season game play.  We are still going strong and have games all this week!  We are in a double elimination tournament and since we won our first game today, we're in for two more games.  It is the season that never ends!

A few days ago I told Eli that we might go see a baseball game when we are in Anaheim.  Matt and I enjoy visiting baseball stadiums across the country and we haven't been to Angels Stadium yet.  Since we'll be right down the street and the Angels have a  home game, it seems like a good stop on our vacation.
Eli asked who the Angels were playing and I said "the Mariners".
His eyes got really big and he said "OUR Mariners?"

He was very excited.
So was I, but for an entirely different reason.

I think there is a time in a young boy's life where he picks his team.  He picks the organization to become loyal to.  He vows to love them when they win and lose.
I wondered "has he picked his team?"

Of coarse we live here and so just about every little boy growing up in these parts is a Mariners fan.  But Eli is not the typical Seattle area little boy.  He has a lot of different influences.  His Papa and Uncle G are die hard Giants fans, his daddy loves the Mets, and his first dozen baseball games were cheering on the Washington Nationals.  He's been to home games for all of these teams.  He's felt the mood in the stands, witnessed the wins, participated in the celebrations, and most importantly tasted each and every one's signature stadium dog.  With all those teams to chose from, it would seem he has settled on the Mariners.

Recently we went to a Mariners vs Padres game here in Seattle.  We forced him to wear a Padres shirt because Uncle G's friends was pitching for the Padres and hooked us up with some sweet seats in the Padres complimentary ticket section.  We were able to meet the friend who was one of the relief pitchers for the game and get some signatures.  Since we were totally in Padres territory we decided to root for them for this game.  Eli wasn't having it.  He wore that Padres shirt, but only under his Felix Hernandez Mariners jersey!!

So when Eli said "OUR Mariners" my heart was happy.  I think this boy has found his team, and even though he doesn't have the friends that he wishes for, he doesn't have the wide open play areas he is used to, and still associates Ca as a part of who he is, he has embraced his home.

Go M's!!

Comments

The boy has chosen well! He is a Washingtonian in my eyes!

Popular Posts