Sneaky Sneaky

Yesterday I sneaked in a little trip to France.  Many times the way I decide where to travel is by the number of times I hear the name of a city.  The big ones were obvious: Rome, Florence, Paris, London...  But the ones that always peak my interest and cause me to eavesdrop on someone's conversation is the ones that I had not heard of before.  Cinque Terre?  Had no idea what that was until people here said the name followed by a deep sigh.  The sigh was the deal sealer, and I knew I had to go.  One of the other places I keep hearing is Colmar, France.  It is a little town about 2 hours from here but it wasn't high enough on my priority list to go.
Since we have nothing in the house right now except for four lawn chairs, my computer, air mattresses and some linens, I decided a drive to Colmar seemed like a good Sunday activity.
Matt didn't agree.
So he decided to go golfing and I went to Colmar with girlfriends.  It turned out to be a genius plan.  So me and four other spontaneous ladies hopped in the van on a very rainy Sunday morning and hoped that the weather would clear.  It did.  Not only did it not rain, but it was hot!
We enjoyed our time in Colmar because we were all there in Colmar, but it turns out that the city itself is really not as spectacular as some people tout it to be.  After a few hours of shopping and eating, by the way I had the best creme brulee ever made, we hopped back in the van and decided to take the Route du Vin home.  That is basically the scenic route to Alsace wine country.  There were some amazingly beautiful views, some adorable towns, and fun adventure in trying to follow the brown signs to stay on the wine route.  We stopped at the last town on our route, Ribeauville, and our breath was taken away.  This town turned out to be even more picturesque than Colmar.  We walked around for a few hours and then made our way to the autobahn and headed home.
It was a such a sweet blessing to spend the day with some girlfriends.  It was simply a bonus that the weather was perfect and we stumbled across even more beauty than expected.

Comments

Popular Posts