Not so Martha

New to my blog is going to be a recurring post entitled "Not so Martha".  The posts will offer detailed accounts of my failed attempts at domestic stuff like cooking, cleaning, and DIY crafts.  I hope my lameness is entertaining for you and I do welcome any and all comments attempting to figure out what I did wrong.
Since we are right smack in the middle of a move, I suspect that I won't have many domestic disasters to report in the near future, but stay tuned they are sure to be unleashed when we get settled in Washington.

Cooking: Matt loved this salsa that our friend Christy has brought to a few potlucks recently and he asked me to make it for him. This is Christy's Black Bean Corn Salsa


And this is my Black Bean Corn Mush


Same recipe.  Obviously failed execution on my part. Mushy avocados?  Failure to read recipe?

Cleaning: Another friend clued me in on a great method to clean nasty calcium build up in the shower.  Oven Cleaner.  Sounds good to me.  So I found my "fume free" oven cleaner and took to the shower, while I was at it, I sprayed the oven too.  A few hours later I head back to the shower and oven to finish the job.  Success... until I realized that I have no more finger prints.  Wear gloves when scrubbing stuff down that is soaked in oven cleaner.  It actually mentions this in the instructions.  I thought it was optional.  It isn't.

DIY: Recall my stinky cabinet project?  More recently Mika bought a bunch of old windows and shutters from a farm.  She had a few that she didn't want and asked if I wanted them.  There was one I really liked and I had great plans to clean it up, put decorative paper behind the glass and cork in the spot where the glass was broken. Kind of like this:


What did mine turn out like?  Who knows?  I never did a thing to it, it is still over at Mika's house.  But she sanded it, and painted it for me!


Comments

Popular Posts