4730

That is my bib number for the Mannheim Half-Marathon.  Am I crazy?  I'm not a runner.  I shouldn't have a bib number for a half-marathon!
Last year our family went down to the finish line of the Mannheim Half and cheered as our friends finished their race.  There was a light show, live bands, fest tents and a whole bunch of excitement.  Matt and I looked at each other and I said "I want to do this next year!"  
I started my 12 week training plan mid-January with a few extra weeks to spare but something happened and I stopped, then we took a few trips, Matt left, I got sick, Matt's mom came to visit and the countdown clock for the race reached 31 days.  At this point I barely logged 10 miles a week and I was in no condition to run the race.
I asked Matt to be completely honest and tell me if he thought I could train enough in 30 days to run the half.  He said "yes".  I said "really?" and he said "definitely".  So with the encouragement of my dear husband I signed up and went for a run.
My "training schedule" is a mess.  I don't have enough time to follow a 6 or 8 week plan so I'm just doing my best to log the miles with a few long runs and some 4-5 mile runs each week.  
Yesterday I threw my gear on and loaded up my support team (Eli) with gatorade, a granola bar, some water and my cell phone and we left the house at 4:55pm.  Around 5:45pm we had to place an emergency call to the route planner (Matt) to give me some directions, and at 6:00pm the rain started.  We were soaking wet and just barely over halfway to our goal of 10 miles.  Thankfully the rain stopped to give a little reprieve, and we arrived back home at 6:52pm.  Eli rode and I ran 10.4 miles at just under an 11 minute mile pace.  I call it running but it is probably technically more of a jog!  Who cares?  I ran my 10 miles and I felt really great doing it.  I'm sure I could have done another mile without crying.
So here I am three weeks out from the race, I got my first 10 mile run under my belt and ran a total of 27 miles this week!  Woo hoo.  For the first time since last year when I first said I wanted to run this half-marathon, I actually believe that I can and I will.  It won't necessarily be very quick but I'm going to start and finish strong!

Comments

That is so great!!! You will be fine-- you are capable of more than you want to believe! :)

Sooo...a half now means you'll have more than enough time to train up and come join me for the Honolulu marathon in December, right? It's my first...gotta get it off my bucket list!
Rachael said…
You are awesome and you most definitely can do this- I truly have no doubt! I will be praying you enjoy both the day and the journey in the next few weeks! When's the big day?

Popular Posts