Letting Go

I'm not a very focused reader, so when it comes to choosing reading material for the airport, airplane or other public places I tend to grab a magazine that doesn't require all of my attention to get the point. For this trip I chose PEOPLE and Women's Day. I couldn't tell you anything about PEOPLE, I read it on the way down to Crete and it did its job at helping me pass the time. On the way home I read Women's Day. It contained hundreds of words that I can't recall and pictures of products I'll never buy - it was a thoughtless page turner, until I reached the article entitled "The end of the road". Hoping it was a short story, I dove right in. I was wrong, the entire article was a self-help piece devoted to helping women end relationships.
In the first few paragraphs of the article the author explains that letting go of relationships that have soured means you must "put your needs before someone else's" and if you can accomplish this feat, then "you'll be free of the burden and stress" of "giving more than you receive".
My heart broke. I'm saddened that the author of this article, and the many Ph.D's quoted in it, believe this philosophy and that they are advising women to subscribe to it as well.
What if everyone put their own needs first and refused to give without getting something equal or greater in return?
I'm so thankful that I'm married to a man who loves me even though sometimes he gives far more than he gets in return, and I'm so blessed that, while he doesn't completely ignore his own desires, he considers me and the kids before he acts. I'm also glad that most of my family and friends don't comply with the author's advise either! How sad and lonely and pathetic my life would be if I only got what I deserved.
My Savior was willing to give far more than I could ever give in return, his grace is extended to me more times than can be counted, and my need for salvation was worth giving up his own life. I pray that the author of this article will open her eyes and see that really living isn't about getting but about giving. I pray that she finds joy in the beauty of someone loving you - including all your faults. I pray that she will see that God's grace is extended to her so that she can in turn extend it to others.
So much for mindless reading.

Comments

mrscotis said…
Everyone should read this blog. Maybe you should have this published in the next Womens Day!!

Popular Posts