Freeze Frame

I'm so impressed by special effects used in movies where cinematographers mess with time. Sure it is cool when everything switches from real time to slow-motion to showcase the action hero's ability to dodge 50 bullets fired simultaneously at his head but it is especially interesting when some of the people in the scene are moving at real time while others are paused or when some are fast speed and others at real time. I find the whole thing intriguing. Ah the wonders of the digital age.
I recently found myself in a freeze frame type moment. Unfortunately, the stop-motion thing was only in my head and not actually playing out in real life, but it still had a pretty cool effect.
The other night some friends were over and the house was bustling with wild kids, music playing, friends chatting, the fire pit crackling....and food. I realize food makes so sound or movement but it sure does add to a good evening. And then suddenly my head put myself in "pause" mode. I stopped and looked around, everything else was still moving but I was the one standing in the middle of a sea of action...taking it all in but not taking part.
It was in this moment that I realized how completely blessed I am. We live 200 yards from our best friends, in quite possibly the most secure neighborhood for a kid to grow up in, with dozens of other great friends nearby. I have a really fabulous, kind, loving husband, two quirky but wonderful boys, great friends and family back in the States, a stable income, a free house with free heat/water/trash pick-up, I get to stay home with my boys, and stay home to randomly hang out with friends. The kids run on over to their friends' houses - no need for special play dates or planning. Fast Food has a new meaning - dinner at Mika's tonight. And I really could go on and on.
In this moment of cinematographic/psychotic special effects, I was seeing the whole picture. Not just the fact that we are living in Germany and traveling throughout Europe, but I see the little things that are actually much bigger. There is so much laughter, so much love, so many many blessings.
Then just like the movies, a bullet hit me square in the head when I wasn't looking and blamo slow-mo gone and death ensued in real time. I didn't actually die but I was brought back to reality when people started calling my name wondering why I was just standing there.
It is easy for me to notice all the things in life that are going wrong, but really, the list is so much longer if I take the time to note all the things that are going so right.

Comments

Popular Posts