Joe

My mailman, Joe, is the coolest mailman ever. Sorry Dad, I'm sure you were cool too, but I don't have any data to back that up.
Joe is a neighbor -who just happens to not live in the neighborhood. I see him almost everyday as he is out for delivery and he always greets me with a smile and a wave. He is an older guy, probably near retirement, but the many years on the job, the freezing cold weather, or monotony of delivering coupons on Mondays doesn't seem to get him down.
We have one of those mailboxes, where all the houses on the street receive mail in one location. Each house has its own locked box and there is a special box for packages. Joe never uses that special box, he brings me my packages no matter how big or small. It isn't a huge deal, but I know it takes much more time for him to bring me my package than just dropping it in the big box. And, Joe doesn't doorbell ditch. When Joe brings me my packages, he rings the doorbell and waits for me to answer. Unlike the UPS guy that practically tosses a box on the porch from the door of his big brown truck. I like this about Joe.
Joe was super cool this Christmas. We had two packages that were shipped "parcel post" or more accurately not shipped because they were parcel post. These little guys sat somewhere for weeks waiting for all the priority boxes to be delivered. Two days after Christmas, at 10 in the morning the doorbell rang and it was Joe. He saw our delight that the "missing" packages finally made it. He explained that when he arrived that morning and saw that these packages had been on the slow boat from California to Virginia for a few weeks, he made sure to stop at our house first before he continued with his regular delivery. I know this is true, because I normally don't see Joe until around 2:30.
He also noted the amount of mail being sent to our address under the name "Mlack" (our friends that were staying with us during December) and he added their name to our mailbox, to ensure even when he wasn't working, their mail would be properly delivered.
Today, Joe kicked it up a notch. He attempted to deliver an express mail package this morning while I was gone. Since I wasn't here and the package required a signature, he filled out the official form advising me that the package would be available for pick up at the post office tomorrow. He also left an unofficial note telling me that he would try and stop by later to deliver it. I guess he tried two other times, with success tonight on his third attempt at 4:30 - probably on his way out of the neighborhood. He told me that if I didn't answer the door this time he was going to call me and see if someone else could sign and receive the package in my place. That is service!
Joe gets Christmas cards and gifts from us each year, but he is in for an extra special bonus when we move! I want to make sure Joe knows that I notice he cheery disposition and his commitment to going above and beyond.

Comments

Christy said…
okay, that has to be THE best mailman EVER. I would like to give him a compliment myself.
mrscotis said…
Just so you know, we have a mail man just like Joe. We love our mail man. NOt everyone is as fortunate to have such a great mail man.

Popular Posts