Good things CAN happen in Alabama!

If you are reading this blog, you know me well enough to know that I often refer to my time in Alabama as my "dark age". Tonight, I was reminded how bright those dark times actually were. So, I decided to make a list of some great things that happened in Alabama.
I learned the terms "might could", "carry her to the store", and "buggy" - as in shopping cart.
I shopped at Piggly Wiggly. Admit it, you have to smile when you say Piggly Wiggly when referring to a grocery store.
I saw how peanuts and cotton grow. Tasted fried Okra, turnips, and fried cornbread.
I survived two tornadoes - they touched down within a few miles of the house.
I learned how to play poker and competitive monopoly.
I saw my first Shakespeare play.
I survived my first and ONLY NASCAR Race at Talladega,Alabama.
I fell in love with southern thunder storms.(Up until that point I thought I knew a thunder storm but I didn't.)
Mika and Tom met at a wedding in Alabama - the rest is history.
Katie is from Alabama - she's coming tomorrow to visit for a week.
I got pregnant with Eli in Alabama.
I met Maureen and Stacey and CJ and Laura.
Which brings me to why I was thinking about good things in Alabama. A few weeks after I arrived in Alabama we met CJ and Laura. We were only together in Alabama for about 8 months, but in that time we built a relationship that has lasted over miles, years, and long periods with little or no contact. They've been in Texas, Korea, Texas, and you know where we've been. We've seen each other a few times over the past 5 years and try to keep up with each other through emails, blogs, and photo galleries.
Tonight, Laura and her girls came by for a visit. Her parents live about an hour from us, and during her visit with them, she made time to come see us. The kids played together, Laura and I caught up, and I was reminded of how special it is to have her as a friend. As she left I was a little sad. I thought of how much more of our lives we could share and enjoy if only we lived closer. Good things do happen in Alabama, friends are one of them.

Comments

mrscotis said…
I never knew about the fried cornbread. Sounds yummy!
Bryan and Sandi would be so offended about the Nascar race! :)
This was such a sweet post, Clarissa! It brought back lots of great memories! Thanks so much for making time for us while we were in the area; it definitely wasn't long enough but I really enjoyed it! Tell Matt he and CJ need to request Fort Carson next haha! :)
Unknown said…
so . . . let me get this straight, if we move to Alabama, you won't disown us?

Popular Posts