At the Cross

 Today I was driving down a busy road through town and something to the left caught my attention.  I took a quick look and could barely look away.  I checked to make sure I wasn't about to hit someone in front of me and then looked back for another moment allowing my brain to process what my eyes were seeing.

I wish I could have taken a photo.  There is no way I can describe the spookiness of the scene but of course, I am going to try.

It was a cold morning with freezing fog lingering in the air. Rising above the earth is a giant cross. Perched on each of the arms of the cross were two black vultures looking down.  There at the foot of the cross, laying in the brown brittle grass was a dead deer covered in frost.

There is a simple and likely explanation for the scene.  The deer probably got hit by a car, stumbled into the pasture on the side of the road, and died.  The vultures smelled death in the air and swooped over for a bit to eat.

That all makes sense and is actually something I have seen numerous times since moving to these parts.  In fact, I just saw some vultures snacking on a dead deer yesterday.  The thing that made this scene so darn spooky was the cross.

My brain was spinning.  What does this mean? Two vultures on the cross.  Are those the criminals who were crucified with Christ? The deer at the foot of the cross.  Is that us?  "As the deer pants for water so my soul longs for you". Are vultures waiting for me?  Is evil lurking on each side of the cross?  Is it a reminder that I need to lay myself down at the foot of the cross? 

WHAT IS HAPPENING??

This scene certainly seemed like it could appear in some old testament dream later interpreted by a Daniel or Joseph type.  I drove by another time to take it all in again.  

I still have no deeper meaning to this event, maybe there isn't a deeper meaning, maybe a deer just happened to die at a cross.

I don't know, but something tells me I am going to have some nightmares tonight involving vultures. 

Comments

Popular Posts