Summer Vacation 2016

The best description of this summer vacation is "a trip within a trip within a trip".
Eli and I drove to California, spent a few days there, then grabbed Gabe and flew to Fayetteville, NC, then I ditched both boys and drove to Marshall, NC, then flew back to California, spent a few more days there and then drove home.
Along the way my rental car reservations were in tact but no car available, I pulled over on the freeway in a panic because of a blinding thunderstorm, I had an unplanned trip down some rapids WITHOUT my raft, was caught in a major thunderstorm/flashflood in Asheville where a kind business owner opened his jewelry store to give my girlfriends and I shelter until we could navigate safe passage to our car and I was trapped on a plane in Duluth for 2 hours in an effort to avoid running out of fuel or crashing due to a major thunderstorm at my intended airport.
I went to Gabe's first musical, Makenna's final show prior to college, spent a day at the water park, attended a AAA baseball game in Durham, went white water rafting, floated for hours in a lake, spent an afternoon on the river, and ate at all my favorite Ca eateries.
I spent time with so many family members I lost count.
Stayed up late and slept late,
Listened to/read 3 books.
I laughed, cried, and lived fully.
It was a solid packed 18 days.

On my last day in California, I walked in to this room.
Sure I passed by a few times over the weeks, but on this day I sat there and looked around.
Last year it was the waiting room of heaven.
It was a sad, hot, painful place. 
A place that I felt compelled to be in, despite the discomfort of what I was witnessing.

But this Sunday, its just the front room.


There is no sadness or pain.
She is free.

Comments

Popular Posts