The birthday.

I didn't forget about Kaia's 15th birthday.
I just had to save that for an entire different post.

I made an appointment for Kaia and I to get a mani/pedi on the morning of her birthday.
It started on the morning of her birthday... and it ended on the afternoon of her birthday.

So I make an appointment for 10:30.

We leave a few minutes early because I notoriously get lost in Roseville.
After about a 15 minute journey we pull up to the nail salon and Kaia quietly says "we have NEVER gone that way to get here before".
I followed my GPS but now, I'm wondering if maybe it was set on "right turns only" because I'm not kidding we probably crossed 3 time zones to end up 3 miles from my sister's house.

Somehow, we arrived at the salon on time.
I'll spare the detailed timeline.
By 11:30 Kaia finally had her pedicure and was sent to wait in the corner.
We called it her time-out chair.
I finally was done and ready for my manicure by noon.
Kaia got back into the rotation and was allowed to leave timeout and get her nails done.
All said and done it was almost 1pm by the time we both had our manicures and pedicures.
We were amused by the happenings of the salon and giggled at how absurd this scenario was.
I looked at Kaia a few times and apologized for how long it was all taking, she looked back and said "I have nowhere else to be".
Love her!
Kaia is super easy going.

With fancy nails and  toes and what seemed like a good story to tell we headed out to the car.
I headed over to Kaia's side of the car to let her in because her nails were still freshly painted.  After fussing with the unlock on the key fob for quite a while I realized it wasn't going to work so I just unlocked the door manually.
Poor choice.
I get Kaia in the car and next thing I know the alarm is blaring.
Honking, screaming, violently screeching.... it was dreadful.
I am pushing so hard on the fob trying to turn off the alarm that I'm shocked I didn't break the thing.

Poor Kaia is just looking at me from inside the car with eyes of fear, embarrassment, and pleading for the madness to stop.
She gets out for the next 10 minutes that darn alarm kept going off.
We were mortified.
And deaf.

Finally I call my dad and ask for him to come rescue us.

He was about 30 minutes away, so we rolled into Round Table to catch the tail end of the buffet.
Bonus lunch with my niece.

Dad shows up and after about 5 more rounds of the great battle of the car alarm he gets it turned off, the car started and bids us farewell and parting instructions on how to not get trapped somewhere again.

Just as he completed his instructions I see a disaster striking just over his shoulder.
Some lady was backing in to Dad's new truck and she didn't look like she was stopping.
I start screaming and blast my horn.
Minor scratch.

Kaia and I finally are released from the insanity and manage to make it back to my sisters by a totally different route than we came and not surprisingly, about 10 minutes faster.
She looked at me and said 'it literally took us only 3 minutes to get home".
I know.

A few days later I text Kaia and thanked her for hanging with me on her birthday.  She said "thanks for making it more exciting".
Ha!

Comments

Unknown said…
Kaia says, "I was most definitely memorable(right up there with snow camping for her birthday) but pretty cool too"
Thank you for making her feel special that day and for making it Aunty Riss kind of fun!!!

Popular Posts