Farewell


Friday Matt was officially farewelled at work.  This marks an end to 2.5 years serving in this Battalion as the Safety Officer.
The commander gave a great speech as he thanked Matt for his service in the Battalion and praised him for all of his accomplishments.  One of the fun things that was said about him is that Matt made safety briefings tolerable and usually entertaining!
I've never sat through a drunk driving, long weekend, suicide prevention or flight briefing but I picture it much like the safety briefing that flight attendants give before take off.  How many times have we heard that?  Secure my mask before those around me, seat cushion is a flotation device, nearest exit bla bla.  You totally tone that out, fall asleep, read a book, get a few last moments on your data plan before the flight attendant taps you on the shoulder and tells you to turn your phone on "airplane mode".  But occasionally the flight attendant giving the briefing is hilarious and you can't help but listen to every last entertaining word.  This is basically what Matt does.  He takes the most depressing and boring subject matter and infuses it with elements of entertainment that actually keep the class interested and engaged.  
After the commander presented Matt with a plaque honoring his time with the unit he handed the mic over for Matt to say a few words.   He spoke honestly with the group explaining that he did not want to come over to this unit and considered it somewhat of a failure on his part that he ended up in a support battalion instead of a flight battalion.  But once he got to this unit he had the opportunity to learn what goes on behind the scenes and got to know the people that made his job over in the flight battalion possible for all those years.  Spending some time with the "behind the scenes" people taught Matt a great deal and helped him appreciate what this unit does.
I'm proud of the work that Matt did at this battalion.  It has been a very different experience for us, but the lessons learned and connections made over the past few years have left a lasting impression on Matt and will no doubt help him in his future career.
There are quite a few people leaving the battalion, and I listened to numerous people's stories of what they did for the battalion, where they were headed next and their parting comments to the group.  The last farewell of the night stood out to me the most, not just because it was the last, but because of the powerful words that were spoken.
As Major P came up the podium to begin his speech he said "first and foremost I want to thank God". That isn't too surprising.  But what came next shocked me.
He said that his hope was that everyone knows that he is a Christ follower, and noted that if they didn't know then "shame on me" for failing to make that known.  I was so impressed with the boldness to essentially call himself out.
Oh that every Christian had the guts to face the people they work with, play with, work out with, live near, and in any way socialize with and say if you don't know that I love God and follow him, then I have failed.
So I wonder if those who I encounter know?
What a great challenge.
Major P went on to thank specific individuals, his wife, certain members of the command team and the unit.  He finished his speech with words that brewed excitement in me, words that we don't hear enough anymore.  He said it is "the greatest job in the world, and the greatest honor to serve in the United States Army".  And if I were not choked up I might have been able to give a "whoop whoop" but I could merely clap and blink a tear out of my eye.
It is truly an amazing experience to married to a man, to work with, live with, serve with men and women and their families who also have taken on this great responsibility to defend the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.  
I'm proud to be a military family and I love the camaraderie that come from such a great institution as the US Army!!
So we're off to one more assignment, one more battalion before Matt closes the book on his military career.  Matt is taking over the Battalion Safety officer position at the flight battalion just across the airfield from where he works now.

Comments

Rachael said…
very cool. What a great perspective too. Shame on me if people don't know.

Popular Posts