Mostly Perfect Saturday

Today was simply fabulous.
It didn't start off well. Winkler, our local woodpecker, likes to start his wooing early. So at 7:30am Winkler started firing away on the gutter. Yes the metal gutter. Winkler is trying to gain some attention from the ladies and since trees do not create nearly as obnoxious sound as a gutter, Winkler hangs out on our back gutter hammering away....until I wake up, go outside and huck a dodgeball at the sucker. Occasionally, he returns a little later for some more musical action but this morning one blast with a red ball was enough to send him to a neighbor's.
The damage was already done though, we were awake.
It was sunny and simply beautiful outside today. After a few cups of coffee and breakfast we headed out to enjoy the day. We hiked 3 miles at a nearby park enjoying both the steep, muddy, thick forest and rocky beaches and clear waters of the Sound. We even saw both mountains on the peninsula and Rainier.
After the hike the boys played catch in the park until we were famished. We enjoyed lunch at one of our favorite spots downtown and then decided to walk to a bakery that makes to die for cupcakes.
Ok so just in case you dozed off. By noon we had coffee, family hike that included a water feature and mountain views, delicious lunch and a walk through the city on the way to cupcakes.
Does it get any better?
Well yes it does.
We happened upon some store that was having a close out sale. Two words: clearance shoes! I know! Amazing. I decided that although I was loving an adorable pair of Keen boots, I would pass and get Matt and Eli some sweet shoes and pick Eli up a snowboard for next season. Although it seems like this story couldn't get any better....it does. I found a mannequin for sale. The store is going out of business  and selling display racks, shelving, hangars, decor, everything! To include a mannequin. I'm not personally in need of a mannequin but a friend of mine loves A Christmas Story and needs a leg lamp. Bam! I found her a leg.
So we load our stuff into the van and continue our journey to the bakery. We sat outside in the sun enjoying cupcakes and coffee and then swooped into the farmers market as they were closing to grab some fresh fruit.
The boys planned to squeeze in some baseball practice before we headed home so we stopped at a field, pulled out the equipment and Matt was helping the boys get some hitting practice. I was a bit tired from Winkler's wake up so I grabbed a blanket and planned to nap in the sun. I should have stuck with this plan. Instead of just chillin and enjoying a sunny nap I decided to get in on the ball action and try to catch some grounders. Well I'm pretty lame. So there I was standing in the field with my glove ready, waiting for Eli to hit. Matt says "hey back up" to which I very snootily respond "no!"
I'm not 100% sure why I didn't want to move but let's just say it was a very bad call.
10 seconds after I say "no!", Eli fires off a line drive that comes directly to me at 500mph. I have a glove on, no worries I think I'll just catch this thing and show them. But I don't catch it. Instead I put my gloved hand down to catch it, get scared, and turn my hand. TURN my hand from where the padding is there to save my digits to the back of the glove where there is nothing.
I crumpled in a pile on my nap blanket and pretty much thought I was going to need my fingers amputated. Eli and Matt laughed hysterically. Gabe the favorite one came rushing to my aid.
Matt said " I told you to move back"
So now I am the not so proud bearer of the most ridiculous finger injuries. I didn't even know it was possible to bruise the tip of your finger.
Our cheeks are sun-kissed, clothes and shoes grass stained and muddy, bellies filled, hearts full and minds fresh with awesome family memories.
Ok and thanks to my failed baseball attempt everyone enjoyed a good laugh at my expense.
Happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular Posts