Not So Martha.

For the record.
You cannot just add orange zest and cranberries to a box scone mix and hope that they taste just like the ones you slave over from scratch.
I'm going out on a limb here and calling them inedible.
The box scone mix in itself may have been tasty but I didn't try them plain so I can't say for certain.
The error in judgement was less about the box mix and more about the additives.
Not that I will ever try this again, but I suppose the issue was ratio of sweetness to sour.  Perhaps I added too much sour, or maybe there just isn't any sweet in the "just add water" mix.
I don't know specifically what went wrong, but I know that the issue was me trying to cut corners. I have a tried and true cranberry orange scone recipe that is delicious and yet I decided at the last minute that rather than follow the recipe I would try to skip all the steps involved in actually making the recipe and just throw in some flare at the end.
This scene is repeated in other areas of my life.
I like to buy a gift that I truly think the recipient is going to love or will find amusing.  I like to think through gifts.  When I do, the gift turns out lovely.  The recipient knows my heart and receives my gift as specifically chosen for her or him for some reason.  When I don't take the time to really think about what I want to give someone, it is like those darn scones, they look pretty, but there was no effort involved and they were not made with love.  As Christmas shipping deadlines quickly approach I am faced with the challenge to actually take the time to shop for gifts, not cut corners and just grab the first thing I see on the shelf, wrap it pretty and call it good.
Last night I was racing through my bible study.  I didn't want to do it.  I'm fed up with the author, I don't like the study, but I was muddling through anyway.  As I was closing my book I noticed that I did indeed fill in all the answer blanks, but I didn't get a darn thing out of it.  I went through the motions but didn't really do the study.  I took a box mix and threw in some cranberries.  In the end, what do I have?

Some challenges are new and the way to go about them is learned through trial and error, but for others....there is a recipe that works and all I need to do is take the time to follow it.  My challenge for this season is to avoid cutting corners!  If I prioritize my tasks and use my time wisely, I will successfully accomplish the tasks I have chosen to take on.

Comments

Popular Posts