Summer

Summer is here. School isn't officially out for another week but it is hot, the sun is up until late, and the smell of BBQ is in the air.
Now what?
This is the first summer in 3 years that we don't have free access to a neighborhood pool. This is quite unfortunate. We loved that pool. It was basically our duty to go to the pool at least a few times a week. If I'm going to miss the pool, the boys are really going to miss it. They loved that place more than I can describe. It was the place to run into neighborhood friends, splash around, cool off, practice their strokes and despite the dangers...catch some rays. My boys get pretty dark in the summer and they look really cute with their dark blonde hair and their little tan bodies. Oh, we are going to miss that pool.
This is also the first summer in about the same amount of time that we haven't planned to spend at least a few nights down at National Stadium cheering on the Nationals or more likely cheering on the visiting Mets. I love summer baseball. I love being at the game with the crowds, the food, the colors, the music....oh and I do like to watch the game too. I love that each player has a particular tune played when they come up to bat and people watching is at its prime. I like sportin' a jersey and pretending like I know a little something about the game. I like being transported to a whole different world upon stepping foot into the turnstile. Much to my shock and horror, the Germans are not baseball people. They are much more content kicking a ball around and going to things like the World Cup instead of a World Series. I'm going to miss baseball.
Summer has also been a time that we head to the beach, visit family and friends in California, pick berries and peaches in Northern VA, and catch fireflies on walks through our neighborhood. I'm going to miss all those things and many more that made our summer.
Now that it is still daylight until about 9:30, it is so hot that your upper lip sweats on a leisurely walk down the street, and you can't go a day without seeing or smelling someone manning the barbecue - it is time to figure out what will become our favorites for our German summers.

Comments

Rachael said…
We will have a different neighborhood pool this year- but it won't be the same without the option of seeing you and your boys there! At the same time, I am confident you will have plenty of new fabulous summer German traditions, despite the little detail of no baseball!

Popular Posts