Chevre


Not a hurricane, just a named storm.

Is it not a hurricane because we are getting used to these high winds or is it just not really that big of a storm?  I don't know anymore.

Chèvre came.
Chèvre passed.
We are moving on with life.

This storm provided me with one of my favorite mom-ents.  Prior to becoming a mom of teens I would have never thought that THIS would make a list of favorite moments, but here I am, doing my best to help these two boys become awesome men and sometimes things don't go well. I'm making mistakes, they are making mistakes, and it is messy.  It was in the mess that I found beauty.

Like many times in the past, some whisper in the wind, tug at my heart, thought in my head, or spirit of knowledge moved me to catch my little rascals being naughty.  I was spent, exhausted from the previous situations we have dealt with, and simply frustrated.  I called the boys both in to my room.  Even though their transgressions were different, I lumped those boys together and just let them see my broken heart.  I didn't try to be stoic and parental.  I cried and explained why their choices were making me sad and disappointing me.  We discussed consequences, I said my peace and released the boys from the torture chamber, but they didn't leave.  Their eyes were puffy, they were guilty, regretful, and their hearts were sad.  

One said he didn't know how he would have a good time during our upcoming family vacation with all this weighing on him.

This.
This is when I got to do the thing that I hope I never forget how to do.
I looked them each in the eye and said the most simple, yet powerful words.  

"You are forgiven."

No crime is too great, no thought too shameful, no choice too poor, no words too harsh and no thing is too big not to be forgiven.
Oh that the boys will remember those words.
Sure it would be great if they never need to be forgiven, but I'm a realist, the storms aren't over, there will be more discussions, more tears and surely more forgiveness.
I can't describe why this moment was so powerful for me, but it has something to do with showing grace, showing them there is a way back.
There is always a way back.
It was paved long ago in the death of a Savior on a cross.  The cross that forgives me, it forgives them, and it allows me to offer unmerited grace just as that grace is shown to me.

To all who need to hear those words today...you are forgiven.


Comments

Popular Posts