Today was a very rough one for my boys.
It is hard as a mom to look into the face of your children and see them challenged, in pain, or hurting.
And today was one of those days where I was forced to look into their dark eyes that filled with pain and suffering and screaming of injustice.
Truly hard.

Gabe woke up, went to school, came home, showered and was in a jammie onesie watching tv curled up with a blanket by 3pm.  
How horrible is a life when you are snuggled up by 3pm with no cares in the world?
I asked him to vacuum the stairs, all 16 of them.
The strength it required to pull himself up from the couch and his tv show, was almost unbearable to witness.  
And the stairs, those treacherous stairs that were covered in the dirt from HIS shoes that he chose to wear in the house even though we have a no shoes in the house rule.
The crying, whining and pain that was in his eyes left me speechless.
Oh what a difficult life.

Equally pained today was Eli.
Same start...school, then workout at the gym, home, shower, jammies by 4:15.
He too was snuggled up on a different couch, in front of a different tv (wouldn't want to have to share or agree on a show) with a pillow and blanket just suffering through a Friday.
Then his day came crashing in on him when I asked him to help move the couch 10 feet away so I could vacuum under it.
He actually said "I just got home and now I have to move the couch".

Oh the woes of two boys who tragically had to endure vacuuming the stairs and moving a couch.  Life is so unfair.

At this moment today I'm confident these little boys would crumble under the weight of real adversity. 
I resisted the urge to smack them with a firm dose of reality and instead rolled my eyes and prayed "Lord, open their little eyes so they can see how completely ridiculous they are and maybe God, if you are feeling it,  give them a nice sharp pain in the gut, maybe one that brings them to their knees in pain for just one minute or maybe two so they can see what real adversity is"

Their complaints were so ridiculous I didn't even have the urge to argue with them or explain how completely stupid their whining was, I just looked at those rascals and said "dinner is on your own tonight, I'm meeting your dad in town and we're going on a date". 

Mama, out.


Comments

Popular Posts