Summer: Day 1

Today was the last day of school for the boys and I.
I stood in the hall as students filtered out of the building to today.  Most had smiles, a few had tears.  After they were loaded on the buses I joined most of the school staff for the annual bus parade.  The kids load up, bus horns are honked, and the busses filter out of the parking lot....and then back on in to make another go around.  It is a mix of noisy chaos, and somber spirits.  Most kids are happy to be out of school, others will truly miss the friendships, consistency, and joy that school brings.

As I look back over this school year it is hard to believe everything that happened in the last 9+ months.  September seems so very long ago.  It was a packed school year, full of highs and lows at school and at home, and I'm glad it is over!

I have great plans for changing the way we do things next year.  I'm realizing that as the workload gets heavier and the homework more challenging, I need to have a more active role in the kids' work. I am used to them getting all A's, finishing their homework on time, studying for tests and being successful students.  Well, turns out those days have now passed.  They need me to push them a little harder, help them organize their time, and strongly encourage them to do their very best work.

We are wasting no time getting our summer vacation off to a start.  Make way Bahamas, we are coming!

Comments

Rachael said…
Yay for summer! Would love to hear what you come up with for motivating the kids to work harder... Feel like CT is developing bad habits b/c some things do come easy so he is more reluctant to work.

Popular Posts