Checker Fail

Today I was out running errands before our grand adventure begins.  I had the oil in the van changed, mailed some packages, picked up a sprinkler timer (what?  where has that been my whole life?) and stopped by the grocery store to stock up for the trip.
As I was driving around I passed a widely known store that is famous for the crazy people that shop there, and I didn't stop.  Not because I don't want to save money, but because I hate not knowing where everything is and that is just frustrating.  Then I passed another low price leader and considered stopping there but you have to bag the stuff yourself and load the belt and the last time I was there I broke out in hives due to stress.  So I continued on to my market located a mere mile from my house, the one I use almost exclusively.  I'm either super loyal or lazy.  Your call.
So I do my shopping efficiently, with a list which is totally rare for me.  My cart was loaded to the brim.  I'm camping after all, I need everything to include the kitchen sink!
When I pulled up to the register to check out I was greeted by a checker I had never seen before and quickly regretted my lane choice.
I don't know if this guy is just rude, thinks he is funny or was desperate for conversation, but I strongly dislike him and wanted to punch him in his face.
One after another he fired off comments about my purchases "looks like you bought one of everything in the store", "planning on burning down a forest this weekend?" (I had fire starters and firewood), "we're going to need another cart you bought so much stuff", "are you going camping or moving into the woods?".  After the last comment I was done.  I replied "I thought you guys liked me spending my money here, if this is a problem for you I'll gladly go somewhere else next time".
I was so mad!
Since when do people not like you to spend money in their store?
Oh ya, when you have to work for me to buy it!
I guess passing groceries over a scanner is taxing if you have more than 15 items, maybe he should try a different line of work if it is too much for him to handle.
I text my dear BFF complaining about the jerk and she suggested I claim to have "forgot" my wallet and walk away leaving him to void the sale and all that hard work wasted....that would have been fun!

Comments

Popular Posts