Paint Flies

Painting is not my strong suit. Actually, painting isn't even in my closet. I can get the job done, but it won't be pretty and I leave an almost unbelievable path of destruction by the time I am finished.
When we painted nearly every room in our apartment a different color, we knew that we would have to paint it all back to white before we moved. I wasn't bothered by that at all because after three years of hanging pictures, marks, scuffs and dents...chances are the walls would need painted anyway. I figured a little work would be worth having our home feel inviting and warm. However, instead of there being three years in between paint layers, it is down to one and since I was the one who insisted upon painting those pretty colors, I'm the one who has to paint the white.
I started this project yesterday and in just a few hours the dining room was transformed from a beautiful goldish warm happy place to an ugly white walled cavernous hole. And the floor was transformed from a light, shiny wood to a white speckled sticky mess.
My sister can paint in her good clothes, doesn't need to tape off the baseboards or ceiling, and the only drop of paint that will get on her or in the wrong spot is the drop that I slung at her. I just don't have those skill sets. Apparently, I get paint on my feet and then walk around the house leaving a trail of white spots, and although I did tape off the baseboards and had a drop cloth on the ground there is still paint everywhere. I won't even try to describe the mess on my arms and hands and my mom would have a heart attack if she saw the condition of the brush and roller. But, I am a few walls down and a few more to go to having this place turned back into an institutional cave.
While painting I came across something very disturbing. A mass of Fruit flies in my kitchen. Perhaps the more disturbing thing is that I actually left out a bowl of fruit...overnight, but I would like to shift the blame from myself and direct it to the fruit. The scene was soo disgusting I actually questioned if the flies were already in the fruit and just spawned when the fruit was left out or if they just smell the rotting fruit and come from miles away to infect my kitchen. I realize it is not the former but again, I would like to shift the blame. I quickly got the fruit out of the house but I was still left with those itsy bitsy flies. I decided there was no point in trying to kill them all, so I pressed on with my painting project. All was well until the flies got too close to the wall and now I have flies stuck to my wall.
This is why I shouldn't do projects....or be held responsible for putting away leftovers.

Comments

mrscotis said…
I think this is the ONE thing you and I have in common. Painting!! I am so glad to read that you hate it as much as I do. Or have more paint on you then the walls do. Love the new textured look though. Kind of like black beans in the taco meat!!

Popular Posts