School, The Gym, and Dinner.

School.
Eli started school last Tuesday and Gabriel started school today. Eli's year didn't start off very well. Last year he was so excited to go to Kindergarten that he barely waved goodbye as he leaped out of the van. Every day he would greet all the teachers with a big hug and was known on campus for being such a sweet, happy guy.
This year, he cried all the way to school and looked so sad when I dropped him off that I cried all the way home. The teachers all stopped him along his route to the classroom perplexed at this little sad face. What is different this year? Two things. First, he realized that summer is way more fun than school, and decided school shouldn't start until it is cold outside. And second, Mary or any of his other really good friends are not in his class. By the end of the week he was doing better, but still not embracing the idea that this would be a fun year. On the way to school each day he talks about how he wants to just stay home and play, and yet when we are at home, he complains that he is bored because there is "nothing to do".
And in a complete role reversa - Gabriel loved his first day of school today! Last year, he enjoyed being at school but was never very excited to get out of his jammies. Today, he was beaming as we walked to his class! He explained to me that I needed to leave because only Gabe could be at this school. He is looking forward to music class, art projects, puzzles and his new friends. I think this year is going to be great for Gabriel. His teacher stresses learning through fun and according to Gabe "Ms Nancy is the nicest grill ever"!
The Gym.
After taking the entire summer off from eating healthy and working out I returned to the gym yesterday. Words cannot express how much my body aches right now. I took a body pump class and seriously though I was going to pass out after 5 minutes of squats. Today I headed back for a 5 mile walk/run and I am pretty sure my body hates me. If I ever stop working out again for such a long time, I'm just not going to go back to the gym. It hurts too bad.
As I was running along on the treadmill today I was bored, and started looking around the gym. I was suddenly struck by how many "working aged" people were in the gym at 10am. 100 people that look like they probably do have a job, were just at the gym working out, mid morning. I wonder what kind of job these people have? When I worked, I was always required to be at work in the hours of 10am-11pm. When I go back to work, I want a job that allows me to take a mid-morning break to go work out it totally beats working out before or after work.
Dinner.
I hate making dinner. Not so much because I don't like grocery shopping for, planning, prepping, and cooking the meal, but more because I don't like feeding people. Last night I made enchiladas. Gabe said he liked the tortilla but not the chicken, Eli said it was too spicy, and Matt said he didn't like the seasoning on the chicken. Fabulous. Tonight I made meatloaf and asparagus. The boys don't like the meatloaf, Eli gagged down the veggies quickly chasing them with about a gallon of water, Matt poured Thousand Island Dressing on his meatloaf, and Gabe stole the show by actually throwing up the veggies.
Seriously people, I don't especially like asparagus either, but I don't care. I just eat it. After all, the purpose of eating is sustaining life right? My kitchen isn't Paris or Florance. It isn't supposed to be a "dining experience" it is just supposed to put enough food in your gut to make it to breakfast.

Comments

You completely cracked me up writing about dinner. Hilarious. And I feel your pain so completely-- CJ has finally begun eating his token piece of broccoli at dinner just so the girls see that he has to eat it too. I love that you said "dining experience." :)

Popular Posts