Bubbles and Rubber Balls

It really doesn't matter how old the kids are - in the event of a boredom crisis bust out the bubbles and/or those little whacky balls and you are guaranteed a good time.
You think I'm kidding? I have witnessed miracles take place upon bringing out bubbles. Easter weekend Matt and I were working in the nursery during the 6pm service. It turned out to be a bad call on our part. The kids were completely melting down. At one point I had two little girls screaming in my lap and neither was willing to have anyone else touch them. Then out of the cupboard came an automatic bubble blower. And the room went silent until the little ones could catch their breath from the last wail and begin a round of squeals and laughter. Oh, those bubbles saved us. A few months ago I was working with the kids in Restoration, a ministry of our church. The kids that attend are mostly between 5-9 with a few younger and older. One night the kids were rowdy and uninterested in any planned activities when I brought down a bin of bubbles. These kids didn't exactly squeal the same way as the little ones did but they were equally entertained. My tests may not be scientific, but I still declare it is fact.
There is just something thrilling about blowing bubbles, watching them float away, and trying to catch them or pop them. My boys have never stopped blowing bubbles because they were tired of it. Our bubble episodes always end in the bubble container spilling or me getting tired of watching the boys play in them.
The same is true with the wacky ball when introduced in a non-carpeted environment. The ball can bounce for days and the kids are more than willing to see how high, how far, and how random a spot that ball can land. We have little wacky balls all over the house. At first, I'm a little irritated when they find a ball and start bouncing it all over. Then, I remember it is virtually impossible to do any harm with one of those little guys and I enjoy the sound of laughter that erupts when the ball manages to hit every wall in the house in under 5 seconds. It is even worth the slight irritation I feel when being pegged by one square in the forehead. When we move, I'm sure I'll harvest a collection from on top of cabinets and under furniture.
So, if you are having a rough day, don't feel guilty just get out the bubbles!

Comments

Unknown said…
I do indeed agree! Especially if one has the super-fantastic-automatic-million-bubble maker! The only problem is the light film that it has left all over my kitchen!

Popular Posts