A good read.

A good friend of mine gave me a delightful basket of her favorite books for my birthday. It was so thoughtful and creative and I really appreciated the gift . . . . initially.
These were four of her favorite books, I didn't have to worry if they were good, they were pre-screened and determined to be among the best. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy. I started my first book (a short one since I was going on vacation and not sure how much reading time I could get in). It was good except the main character died in the end and that is always unfortunate. The second one - a disaster. Now, I'm not saying the book was a disaster, MY LIFE became a disaster somewhere around chapter 5.
Let me explain. I don't read like normal people. There are quite a few people in my life who keep a book by the bed and read a few chapters every night. That is just not me. I'm an all or nothing reader. I start a book and initially give it a chapter or two a day but as soon as it gets good say goodbye to me because I'm lost in the pages and just can't draw myself out.
Today was one of those days. I've been chipping away at this book for the past three days and then last night my quick chapter turned into a dozen and I made it to bed sometime around 2am. I got up and got the kids ready for school, out the door and in the car when I remembered I left something in the house . . . MY BOOK! I raced back in, left my cell phone on the table and grabbed my book. I read between dropping Eli and Gabe off for school, I dropped Gabe off and read in the car in the parking lot for 20 minutes, grabbed coffee and read in the car some more, ran some errands, read a little, tried to read while driving, read while Gabriel napped, and then it got ugly. After I had both kids home from school I completely neglected them. They were hungry, needed their booty wiped after going potty, were asking for help with homework, fighting, running naked through the house, you name it they were doing it and I was reading my book. At one point Eli went upstairs to Matt and proclaimed "Dad, Mom is never going to fix us dinner . . . . never ever, she's down there reading a book and it is taking a long time". At that point Matt gave in and made us all dinner. I finished my last chapter. Took a deep breath and promised I wouldn't start a new book for a few days.
I have no self control when it comes to a good read. So I just wonder, how do you do it? How do you read a few chapters, get to a good part and then just tuck the book away for another day? The answers to all your questions are already written and all you have to do is keep turning the page to find out!
I promised I wouldn't get into another book yet, but I did take a peek at which titles remaining in my basket would be the next to make it to the nightstand! There is another short one in there that is looking pretty tasty!

Comments

Unknown said…
So when you feel guilty about neglecting your wifely duties the least you can do is tell us the title of the book so we can have a good reason to set aside OUR wifely
duties!! You just don't want the added guilt of knowing you are contributing to the delinquency of other mothers!!!
Unknown said…
I agree with the previous comment! What book were you reading? You read like I do. It's ok until you read until 2Am and have to get up at 4:30 AM. It makes for a very long day and short night! But usually worth it for a good book
mrscotis said…
DITTO to the first two comments so WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE BOOK?????

Popular Posts